Thursday, January 01, 2009

December 2008 - the books



Heat, Bill Buford
Shopgirl, Steve Martin
Mythologies, Roland Barthes
The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery
Swann's Way, Marcel Proust

Proust is amazing. I developed something that I called "The Proust Zone". It's not unlike super careful reading for a class. The sentences were just so dense, so jam-packed with meanings, several of them, which then combined to form a new, subtle direction. I'm going to have to read the remaining volumes of the Search.

This year I read 76 books.

Of course, there's still some started that I have yet to finish:
A People's History of the United States
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The Book of Disquiet

..but I think I'll get to them. A new year can include some old books. In fact, I think it should!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

only 76? that's so lame.

jk.

that's 6+ books a month! well done!